Saturday, October 24, 2009

Unicycle Training Wheels and Aids

Are you still having trouble riding a unicycle?  I recommend that you try out some unicycle training aides.  I guess that is just the fancy way of saying stuff to hold onto while unicylcing, but lets go over some cool ones.
  • Shopping Cart:  This is a really amazing way to learn to ride a unicycle, and it makes perfect sense.  Just hold on to a shopping cart and pedal.  They are heavy enough to support you, and will roll in your direction.  Shopping carts are probably the best kind of training wheels you would ever want for your unicycle.  
  • Friends:  As I have recommended in previous Unicycling Tips posts, you should learn to ride with friends.  If you have two, they can walk with you as you hold onto their shoulders.  This is one of the most fun ways to learn to ride a unicycle, but it does require that you know at least one other person who wants to learn. 
  • Crutches:  Or any long poles that you can use to lean on.  This will help you walk forward while also pedaling.  This is probably not the best, but it may work for some.
  • Skinny walkways and hallways:  These are great because you can support yourself on both sides and pedal forward at your own pace.  Just be careful not to punch a whole in the drywall...
  • Handicap Ramps: These are really nice if they are skinny enough for you to be able to grab a rail and go.  Especially if they are kind of chest high.  This is the way that I learned and it seems like a great one.
If you have used any other training aides or unicycle "training wheels" to help you get started, please leave a comment and tell us what you learned with.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know why it took me so long to realize I could use my treadmill as a training tool to get me unicycling; probably because it seems rather dangerous. I got up to a comfortable cruise on a speed of 3 while holding on lightly. The treadmill rails are at the perfect height. After surviving that I tried the ground and I was definitely more balanced. I'm sure going backwards on the treadmill will be great practice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have a unicycle but never learned to ride it. I wish I had seen some of your ideas then. Great post! W.C.C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, a shopping cart! I do believe I am going to go do that tonight! Great suggestion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this amazing post. i have also a same blog but i have get lots of ideas and knowledge form your post. keep it up.Again thanks for sharing. Visit My blog post:-reviewzonebasics

    ReplyDelete