Thursday, October 22, 2009

7 Tips to Help You Learn To Ride A Unicycle Faster

If you want to learn to ride a unicycle as fast as possible, I recommend that you follow these 7 tried and true tips.
  1. Make sure you have good posture. It is important to sit straight up, as if the seat post was connected to your spine. If you slouch forward, you will fall forward, so make sure that you try to sit as upright as possible on the unicycle.
  2.  Flail your arms.  As I wrote about in my previous article, Learn To Ride a Unicycle, it is crucial that you keep your arms out to your sides, and use them to balance.  Do not be afraid to throw both arms in one direction to keep you upright.  As you get better, you will have to do this less and less, but flailing your arms while unicycling is an important thing to do.
  3. Fall forward.  When you start learning to ride a unicycle, you will fall.  A lot!  But that is okay, everyone does it.  Just make sure that you always try to fall forward.  This way you will be able to better catch yourself, and avoid injury.
  4. Set Goals.  After you start to ride unassisted, it is time to mark your unicycling process. When i started to learn to ride a unicycle, I would start holding onto a post, and ride as far as I could.  When I fell off, I would mark the location of my fall, and try to ride past it.  Eventually I could ride all the way around the block.
  5. Ride with friends.  Having a little help and compitition is good for most sports -- unicycling included.  Have your friends watch you and give you tips on how to improve.  Try to beat your friends in distance, or race your friends for speed.
  6. Go to School.  Seriously, learning to ride at a school is great.  There are often breezeways, where you can ride without getting your feet/pedals wet, there are handicap rails to hold onto while learning, and there are people to impress.  
  7. Practice Practice Practice.  You should set time aside every day to ride when you first get your unicycle.  Don't get discouraged that you are falling down.  You can do this!  Everyone has to start somewhere, and they start by going inches, then feet, then yards and miles.  Try to practice as much as you can, and just know that the first hours of learning will be the hardest.

1 comment:

  1. This was very helpful. Especially going to a school. I found that a chain linked fence helped me out the most. I would try to get down the street only going a few yards, but one day it all clicked and I could ride for a far as I want. Took me 6 days.

    ReplyDelete